As many of you know, we have created a new Blog Series focused on helping funeral home owners, and funeral directors, drive more revenue for their funeral home. So far we discussed two ways that funeral home owners and directors can add new revenue sources, one by adding video services for funeral homes, and the second by adding Flickr Slide Show services. In this month’s installment of our new Blog Series, we are going to talk about the benefits of adding your funeral home to Google Places.
Google Places, which used to be Google Local, is a free Google Tool used by business owners to list their business online. Adding your funeral home to Google Places will allow your listing to come up in search results being performed for your local area. Local Search is really beginning to build momentum. Next time you use Google, add a location to your search term, such as “funeral homes philadelphia pa” and notice the listings that come up next to the Google Map. These are Google Places listings. If your funeral home is not listed on Google Places, you will not come up in those results.
By adding your funeral home to Google Places, you have an opportunity to drive traffic to your Google Places listing, and then to your blog and/or website. The ultimate goal being to drive these web viewers to take action, such as email you for pricing, or giving you a call to answer questions. In order to drive this action, you must first get the eyeballs to your site. Google Places can help capture interested prospects, and then direct them to your other (more robust) online properties.
Setting up a Google Places listing is actually pretty easy. The only pre-requisite is that you have a Google account. If you don’t already have one, simply create one and then get started on your Google Places Listing – it’s FREE. Here are a few steps to help you out:
- Navigate to the Google Places Business Center and click “Add New Business”
- Fill out your profile as completely as possible, the more details, the better
- Add your business listing
- Add your business information – TIP: Add a few custom fields and insert relevant search terms for your small business. This will help you rank for those search terms
- Last, but not least, claim your new Google Places Business Listing – You can claim your listing by phone, text message, or postcard
Not only will having a Google Places Business Listing help increase traffic to your funeral home website or blog, but there are also a number of other benefits. Here are just a few:
- You can add coupons for your Google Places Listing
- The Google Places Business Center allows you to track stats for your funeral home listing
- You can provide your business contact information on your listing
- Customer Reviews can be added to your listing to help build credibility for your small business
If you don’t already have your funeral home listed on Google Places, we hope that this post helps shed some light on why it’s important to have one, what the benefits of a Google Places Listing are, and how to create a listing for your funeral home. If you have any questions about creating a Google Places Listing for your funeral home, leave a comment below and we’ll get back with you.